Saturday, June 21, 2014

How to use SOAP

How do we cleanse our minds and become closer to God? By getting more like Jesus! How do I get more like Jesus? By reading and studying the Bible, together with prayer. We need to be washed, cleansed from the daily clutter. Soap gets rid of the dirt on our clothes, so let's use SOAP as a basis to cleanse our minds!

A lot of people don't know where or how to begin with Bible study. Hopefully this will give you a good idea and starting point.

Decide beforehand which scripture you are going to read. Read the passages with an open heart and allow Jesus to give you the words of encouragement, direction, correction and hope that you need.

Once you read the passage, it's time to use SOAP:

S : Scripture
O: Observation
A: Application
P: Prayer

Here is an example:

S: Scripture
We read in 2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All Scripture is inspired by God and is useful for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteosness, so that everyone who belongs to God may be proficient, equipped for every good work."

Decide that you make a commitment to read the Bible on a regular basis. Write out the verse / passage that sticks out to you the most.

eg: "What I tell you in the darkness, speak in the light; and and what you hear whispered in your ear, proclaim upon the housetops"

O: Observation
Ephesians 5:25-27 "Christ loved the church and gave Himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water to present her to Himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle, or any other blemish, but holy and blameless." Wash your mind through the Word. Soak in it if you need to!

Write out what YOU see in the scripture.

eg: If I am not hearing Him in the darkness, what will I speak in the light! If I am not hearing Him in my ear, what will I proclaim on the housetops?!

A: Application
No point in you getting all the way through the Scriptures, the Scriptures must get all the way through you! Write down how you will choose to live different today.

eg: What a great word! This scripture reminds me to not only talk to God in prayer, but equaly important is to hear Him in my prayer!

P: Prayer
The Kingdom of God gets established in our minds. That is when and how we get TRANSFORMED!
Write out your prayer.

eg: Dear Jesus, help me to hear you today. I want to be still that I may hear your marching ordersfor my day, my week, my life. Your servant is listening! How will I be different today from what I just read?

Even though God gave us His Word, He loved us so much that He thought it best to come to us, teach us and give His life for us. We are reading His Word in the shaddow of the Cross....

John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the one and only Son, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Hope you have a wonderful time soaking in SOAP!

Related article: http://what-a-friend-an.blogspot.com/2011/11/simplicity-of-gospel.html

No comments:

Post a Comment